Friday, September 23, 2011

Show me the Whey!

I hate breakfast.  Most of my dietary cheating involves skipping breakfast.  You think that's small potatoes don't you?  According to the Abs Diet book by David Zinczenko, skipping breakfast increases your risk of obesity by up to 80%.  I guess that's reasonable, seeing as it's the meal that breaks you out of that sleepy, low energy survival mode and kicks up the metabolic mechanism in your tummy.  If we put that book down for a minute and pick up Timothy Ferris' body-experimentation bible The Four Hour Body (4HB), we learn that if we make that meal consist of 30 grams of protein (within 20 minutes of waking) we can increase our sensitivity to insulin, a proactive measure to make sure our daily intake is being turned into energy, not fat.  Wait a minute.  30 grams.  I already told you I HATE breakfast.  I would rather wake up at 4am and run a 5 miles. 

So I started looking at my options, the ones staring out at me from my pantry.  Here is essentially what i was working with:

Eggs (6g protein/egg)
Black Beans (15g protein/cup)
...

If you were expecting a long list, I'm sorry, I'm not a morning person.  I'm a "get me some coffee or get out of my way" type person.  Creativity is not my strong suit in those first 20 minutes after waking.  Standing there with sleep-boogers still in my eyes, that's what i came up with.  I came up with that and all the nausea and failure that comes along with it.

The answer to my problems was staring at me a shelf above in a 5lb jug.  I saw the Whey!  It was perfect, save for the Splenda it was sweetened with.  But it only took a few minutes browsing on everyone's favorite body building supply website to find: an unflavored, unsweetened, whey protein isolate powder (28g protein/scoop).

The real reason I've stayed away from this for so long, is because i always assumed it would taste like...well, you know how terrible flavored, sweetened protein shakes can be (has anyone ever made a decent tasting strawberry?).  I was reluctant to try what bitter yuck they were hiding all this time.  I'll save the review of the actual product for another post, but, needless to say, not bad.  In fact, I now get my morning 30g without the stress, without effort and most importantly, without nausea.

No comments:

Post a Comment